Cologne

Cologne

Sunday, October 18, 2015

First weeks & Welcome Reception at City Hall



New Home
Last year I made the most important decision in my life so far. I decided to change my career path and leave behind my country, my family, my friends, and the lifestyle I knew. I applied for a Master in International Tourism Management at Cologne Business School and when I received the acceptance letter I felt excitement and fear at the same time. It was really happening, my life was about to change.




Crossing Hohenzollern Bridge
It was not the first time I was in Germany; I came 12 years ago with an interchange program and 3 more times after my sister moved to Munich so I was already aware of how most things worked here, for that reason it didn’t take me long time to get used to this new city. I dedicated the first days walking around the city center and buying things for the apartment. For the first time in my life I was cooking every day for myself and buying cleaning staff for the apartment.

Some of my International Friends
During the introduction week I met many of my fellow students and learned how things worked at CBS.  After some days some of my fellow students became my friends and we started to hang out for lunch, dinner or drinks. It feels always nice to meet new people especially when you don’t have your family around. You don’t feel alone any more, you know there are people you can count on and without notice you begin to form your own little family, in my case a very varied international family. In these last weeks I met people from more nationalities than I met in my entire life including some I never thought I would ever meet like from Iceland or Montenegro.

After 2 months living in Cologne I realized I didn't do a tour so far. I knew already some parts of the city but I did not know much about the history of Cologne which I think is important to know considering this will be my home for at least the next 2 years. And yes, I could easily google it but you get a special feeling when someone tells you the story while you are actually at the place. I was glad the International Office informed us there was going to be a walking city tour after the Welcome Reception at the city hall on Oct 16th so I signed in for both events. 
 
The Mayor giving his speech
Many students from different universities and nationalities from the 5 continents were together in one same room at the city hall.  Once we took our places the event started with a girl from other University singing 2 songs while playing the piano. I should say she was really good talented. Then, one of the mayors of the city gave a warm speech welcoming all the new International Students. I never imagined I would be welcomed by the mayor so I think is a nice gesture that the city organizes this event every semester.

Gifts & Info
After the ceremony they served us Kölsch and some food and we could also walk around different small stands where they offered assistance for some paperwork like the registration of the city, extension of the visa, opening a bank account, and about activities we could join. We also received free tickets for the Philarmonic and discounts for a few services. I was already living in the city for 2 months so I really did not need that assistance any more but is really important and convenient for the people that just arrived and are starting their studies this month. I´m glad I went anyway because I received information about discounts friends and relatives can use for public transport and museums when they come to visit me and also I met a Latino group that organizes some activities and give different kind of assistance in Spanish.

City Tour Time
We started the city tour aprox at 4pm despite the cold weather, it even rained a little bit but it did not stop us. Our guide was a nice girl originally from Cologne. I’ve been in many tours in different cities and you feel the difference when a local person tells you the stories. Usually those people are more enthusiastic and proud of their city and you get that positive energy too.


During the hour and a half tour I learned and saw following things: 

- Cologne was founded 2000 years ago (or more)
- There was a time that the city was so big that more people lived here than in London or Paris
- A few medieval style buildings can still be seen in the city center
- The story of Johann von Werth
- Tünnes & Schäl Statues that represent the typical original inhabitants of the city
- Hear for the 2nd time the story about Die Heinzelmänchen (A friend from CBS told me that story weeks ago :) )


Tünnes & Schäl
But what I really liked is how our guide told us what the cathedral represents to them. After II War World, 80% of the city was destroyed but the Cathedral stayed intact without any kind of damage. It was a sign of hope for the people that came back to the city after the war and that is why they feel so proud of it. It is also a symbol of “home” for people of Cologne, they love to see it again after they’ve been living a while somewhere else. Our guide told us she hopes we end up loving this city as much as they do. Perhaps some of us will :)



Last Stop of the Tour: The Dom



It was a nice experience and now I finally can say I know a little bit more about the history of this city. If you haven’t done it so far try to do one, there are walking tours, bus tours, boat tours, bike tours and more. The good thing of living in a big city is that you can find different options so take the chance whenever you can.

As I am a travel passionate I try to take all the opportunities I can to visit other places so I am looking forward for the next I´StIP Trip the International Office organized that is the trip to Berlin next weekend. I am sure we will have a great time there :)

See you around!


No comments:

Post a Comment